"In Eight Months' Time" Weekly - 10







  Image result for picture of "eight months' time" - a novel by bassey ette



Levy and Lawrence weren't the type that loved going to the Library. They were brilliant students by all measures. A good example of how knowledge is acquired - always a work in progress. They were in the school lawn tennis team - liked spending their spare time around leisure pursuit. Yes, they knew how to balance the sheet - all work without play made them dull boys. They looked like smart boys. Note : this story is a continuation from "In Eight Months' Time" Weekly - 9

At the Library, Levy's concentration was drifting, letting him down. He probably knew the reason; his mission to the Library wasn't just for reading. The boy kept putting his head up each time someone walked in. Lawrence at the other flank was doing almost the same thing. Then, a tall, good looking girl with long light coloured hair walked in. She was Victoria. Levy quickly recognized her, comported himself and pretended to be concentrating. Victoria looked around, spotted Levy and moved closer to him. She gave him a pat on the back.
     "Hi Levy".
     "Hi Victoria".
     "Lawrence said you wanted to see me".  
She poses before Levy as she said in low tone - minding where she was. Levy tapped the seat at the side of him, telling her:
     "Come seat".
She turned around and sat down.
     "Tell me now, tell me now, I'm here", Victoria said.
Never the less she knew what Levy wanted to say. She longed to hear it.
     "I heard your dad banned you from using the Internet", Levy said.
She experience the kind of coldness that washed away the warmness she came in with - that sore feeling.
     "Yeah, half of me is taken away. He I've started lying...tha..t the net would be too dangerous for me at my age", Victoria replied with difficulty.
     "Pity you", Levy said with a sympathetic face.
The other students around them seemed disturbed as the conversation began to intense.
     "I understand how you feel. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. Don't forget what Dr. Flemhing said about the Internet - about people like us".
     "This is not about right or wrong. It is about me being confused. I don't understand my dad anymore - he's not the father I used to know. It's not because I lied about my age, my dad's behavior toward me lately as been so strange. Before he used to adore me as his only child, but now I think it is a matter of when I become eighteen as I'm only eleven. Seven year! seven of hell. I now do any research under his watchful eyes, after that, he shuts down the connection. I can you believe this?" She lamented.
     “C’mon! Victoria, don’t let this wear you down! I want you to be strong; I’ll do everything to make you happy. You can confide in me”.
They stared at each other.
     “Besides, there’s school Internet, I can always pull some
strings to buy you time to do whatever you want. Or, I can arrange you a Smartphone.”
     "“Look, I appreciate your concern but, that will be too dangerous. Who knows what
punishment my dad will impose on me this time? If he finds out”, Victoria replied.
Their gaze met as Levy tried to construct what to say next.
     “I’m not really sure how I feel about this, Victoria...something in the way you move. It makes me feel I can’t live without you, think I love you Victoria”
He widened his eyes, bent his neck to one side, awaiting Victoria’s reply. Victoria set her eyes in a way that made her looked attractive and showed her shyness.
     “Do you think I love you?” she asked.

AT THE OTHER FLANK OF THE LIBRARY, an eleven-year-old girl, clear eyed and
smart. Her name was Casey. She stood in front of Lawrence.
     "What did you tell Victoria?" she asked with a sharp tone.
Lawrence, a bit shocked by her approach and directness, smiled politely.
     “Are you annoyed?” he asked smiling.
     “You know what, I hate your guts”, she said.
     “C’mon! Casey”.
. Lawrence can’t believe his eyes. Casey turned and headed towards the exit……

LEVY AND VICTORIA WERE STILL IN THEIR ACT OF CONVERSATION when their
attentions were drawn to……
     “Hey! Casey! Don’t walk out of me. I might not be the
best for you but, I’ll try my best to make you happy. I love you Casey!”
All the students in the Library turned to the direction of the voice—some sensed the TANG OF LOVE in the air. Levy and Victoria stared in awe.
         

Comments

Popular Posts